ASBURY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH


ASBURY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH



On May 16, 1812, land at this location was conveyed by Minos and Sally Tindall to representatives of the local Methodist society “in trust that they shall build or cause to be erected thereon a house or place of worship for the use of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.” The church was formally incorporated as Asbury Chapel following an election of trustees held here on March 20, 1813. It is one of many in the state which are named in honor of noted Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury.



Following damage by fire, the aforementioned structure was replaced by the present building in 1857. There have been several major renovations of the sanctuary since that time. The Church School addition was completed in 1957. Construction of the Community Building was commenced after additional property was given to the church by William E. and Julia J. Tyndall in 1947. The Community Building was expanded following the purchase of adjoining land in 1958. A short distance away was the location of Tindall’s Camp Meeting Ground.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Southwest of Georgetown. North side of State Road 9 (County Seat Highway), at intersection of Road 446 (Asbury Road), 5.5 miles southwest of Georgetown.