ST. PAUL’S UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In 1865 the Maryland Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church established a “mission” or charge circuit in southwestern Sussex County. At the time local members of that faith were holding meetings in Sharp’s school, a one room school house located less that one half mile from here. On August 21, 1868, the “Trustees of the Missionary Society of the M.P. Church” purchased land at this site from Thomas L. Cannon, on which the church was constructed. The building was completed and dedicated in 1871 by Rev. W.D. Litsinger.
The church was formally incorporated at “St. Paul’s Methodist Protestant Church” in 1897. A Community House was constructed in 1924. Two rooms connecting the Church and Community House were added in 1951, and four Sunday school rooms were completed in 1964.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: South Laurel – east side of Road 68, one mile south of Hearn’s Crossroads – intersectiOn of Road 68 (Old Stage Road) and Road 70 (Gordy Road).