WESLEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
This congregation’s beginnings can be traced to a visit from Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury to a gathering of farm families at the home of Abraham Harris on September 24, 1779. A prominent local landowner, Mr. Harris later conveyed a substantial portion of the land upon which the Town of Georgetown was built. For many years this local Methodist “Society” met in the homes of its members. In April 1802, the congregation purchased a lot of land on West Pine Street, just east of South Lane, where a frame house of worship know as “Wesley Chapel” was erected. After fire destroyed this structure, a second building was constructed nearby on land purchased in 1806 from John Russell. This site is now part of the “old Methodist cemetery”.
On July 9, 1859, the growing congregation purchased a lot of land on North Race Street, south of Cooper Alley, for the site of a new church. The building was completed and dedicated in 1865. By the 1890’s, it was very evident that a larger sanctuary was needed. Under the leadership of the Rev. Charles A. Grise, the lot where the present church stands was purchased in 1896. Construction of the modified-gothic design building was completed the following year. Church treasurer William J. McNatt served as supervising architect, and John Barr was the contractor. A formal dedication service was held on March 7, 1897.
The adjoining parsonage was built in 1907. The Willie M. Jones Memorial Hall was constructed in 1928, and the Education Building in 1956-57.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Georgetown. East side of North Race Street between East Laurel Street and Cooper Alley.