SLAUGHTER NECK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH


SLAUGHTER NECK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH



The history of this congregation can be traced to the early days of Methodism in this country. In 1777 a group of area residents gathered at the home of a “Mr. Shockely” to organize a local Methodist “Society.” While visiting in July 1779, Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury noted the rapid growth of the congregation and the enthusiasm of its members. For many years meetings were held outdoors and in private residencies. On July 26, 1810, members gathered to elect trustees and organize themselves into a corporate body. The following October the trustees received a deed from local preacher William Hickman for land on which “Hickman’s Meeting House” or “Zion” had been built.



In 1885 the congregation of “Zion Methodist Episcopal Church” purchased a one acre parcel adjoining the old church lot from Lemuel Draper, upon which a new church was built the following year. The building was enlarged and extensively renovated in 1888. It is believed that the stained glass windows in the present church were obtained at that time. The name of the church was changed to better reflect the community which it served. In 1928 concerns about the condition of the structure prompted members to undertake the construction of the present church. A service commemorating the laying of the cornerstone was held on November 24, 1929.



This marker was dedicated in memory of Doris Argo, Church Historian and Life Member of Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church - Homecoming 1997.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Near the intersection of Route 1 and Route 14, south of Argo’s Corner.