HICKORY HILL METHODIST CHURCH


HICKORY HILL METHODIST CHURCH



For many years local Methodists were forced to travel a considerable distance to attend services. In 1873, Houston’s School House was established as a preaching place within the local circuit. The success of this effort stimulated interest in building a church. On September 11, 1877, Robert B. Houston conveyed an acre of land at this location for that purpose. Construction of Houston Methodist Episcopal Church was completed the following year. The church became the focus of community life, hosting traditional events such as Children’s Day, Homecoming. and Christmas Entertaintment. Outdoor services or “bush” meetings were held nearby, bringing spiritual renewal to those in attendance. The church was renamed in 1955.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Approximately 2 miles west of Frankford, near the intersection of Route 82 and Route 407.