BETHESDA METHODIST CHURCH


BETHESDA METHODIST CHURCH



During the late 18th century many of the residents of this area embraced the Methodist faith. Meetings were often held in the homes of church members. The origin of the Bethesda congregation can be traced to February of 1832, when trustees purchased one half acre of land southeast of here. The land was conveyed by local mill owner Joshua Morris "in trust and confidence" that they erect "a house of place of worship for the use of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church." In 1895, the existing church building was moved to this site and rebuilt. On January 25, 1896, the trustees received the deed for the land "where Bethesda Church now stands."



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: East of US113 on Rt. 326, approximately .2 miles north of the intersection of Rt. 326 and Rt. 432, near Stockley.