This home takes its name from the many judges who have lived in it. The Judges was built circa 1809 by Peter Robinson, who served as Secretary of State for Delaware under three governors and was appointed Associate Justice for Sussex County in 1832. Following his death in 1836, his daughter Mary and her husband Edward Wootten, who served as Associate Justice from 1847-87, occupied the house and made substantial renovations to it. Other members of the bench who have lived here include Chancellor David T. Marvel, Judge Henry C. Conrad, Judge Caleb M. Wright, and Judge Battle R. Robinson. In 1979 the home and adjacent law office were listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Georgetown - Near North West corner, intersection of West Market Street and Front Street.