ST. GEORGE’S UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The roots of this congregation can be traced to the late 1700’s, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson visited this area to propagate the faith. Meetings were held in the open air and in private residences. By 1816 a group of local residents were joining together in worship. In 1833 land was purchased approximately one mile north here for the construction of a church. Services were held there until 1880, when the present church was erected on land purchased from John Steele. The new building was formally dedicated on December 12, 1880. A major renovation and expansion of the church was undertaken 1928-30.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Clarksville - Intersection of Rt. 26 and Rt. 365.