ST. JOHN’S METHODIST CHURCH
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the organization of “Johnson’s Society” in the 1830’s. Meetings were held in private homes and the local school. On July 3, 1852, trustees were elected to supervise the building of the first church. A one acre portion of the “Springfield” tract was subsequently purchased from James E. and Mary A. Blizzard. Construction was completed in 1853. The original structure replaced by the present church in 1907. In 1950 a building was moved here from the site of the Civilian Conservation Corps Camp near Georgetown, for renovation and use as a Church Hall. St. John’s was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Springfield Crossroads – Intersection of Rt. 30 and Rt. 47 (approximately 2.3 miles south of Gravel Hill).