The roots of African-American Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a black “class” within the local Methodist society in the 1790’s. By the 1830’s a group of residents had affiliated themselves with Bishop Richard Allen’s African Methodist Episcopal Church. On November 13, 1839, trustees Moses Robinson, Timothy Jacobs, Curtis Jacobs, George Ratcliff, and Isaac Waples, purchased land for the construction of a church and establishment of a cemetery. The original structure was replaced by the present church circa 1867. For many years Prospect A.M.E. was the site of one of the few schools for African-American youth in Sussex County.

Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at

LOCATION: Georgetown – Intersection of West Railroad Avenue and Adams Street (2 blocks south of East Market Street).