BETHANY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (Lowe’s Crossroads)
In the early part of the twentieth century, members of the Old Jones’ Methodist Church began to search for a more central location for the congregation to worship. Although the land for the new church was donated by Sarah C. Collins in 1914, construction of the building had already begun the previous year. Incorporated on March 5, 1914, the church was named Bethany Methodist Episcopal Church. The name was reportedly taken from the church attended by department store pioneer John Wanamaker, who had made a donation toward the completion of this church. Dedicated in June of 1914, the church added the community hall during the 1920’s.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Lowe’s Crossroads. Approximately .5 miles south of the intersection of Rt. 24 and 421.