DICKERSON CHAPEL, A.M.E. CHURCH
On May 2, 1868, the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land west of Millsboro from John M. Burton and first church building was soon built. In 1885, the Church officially changed its name to Dickersons Chapel to honor Bishop William Fisher Dickerson. Known locally as the Old Field Church, the church building was renovated and rebuilt several times during the early part of the 20th century. In 1923, Juba Boyce willed land at this site to the Church. The congregation moved to this location in 1970 when the present Dickerson Chapel was built under the leadership of Rev. E.L. Coleman.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Millsboro - East side of Route 113, approximately 1.25 miles south of Route 113 and Route 24 intersection.