ST. PAUL’S PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Incorporated on June 21, 1794, St. Paul’s P.E. Church is the oldest organized church in Georgetown. Prior to completion of the first church building, services were held in the Sussex County Courthouse. In 1805, a special lottery sanctioned by the State General Assembly raised $1,500 for construction of the first church. During the early 1840’s, a brick structure replaced the original frame church. In 1880-81, the church was remodeled in the early Victorian Gothic style - the plans being attributed to McKim, Meade, and White, a New York architectural firm distinguished for planning a number of famous churches. St. Paul’s P.E. Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com.
LOCATION: Georgetown - Intersection of East Pine Street and Academy Street.