DELAWARE CITY SCHOOL No. 118C
In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who conducted a statewide effort to replace outdated and overcrowded facilities. On March 9, 1922 the State received the deed for a new building to replace a school located in the Polktown section of the community. The facility housed grades one through eight. Citizens expressed their gratitude to Mr. duPont for his “most generous and valuable gift.” The school was closed in 1961. In 1962 the property was sold to the Delaware City Community Park District.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Delaware City - End of Dragon Run Park Road, Approximately .25 miles west of the intersection of Route 9 and Dragon Run Park Road.