Ashton Richardson built Ashley Mansion in 1804 on land he inherited from his father. A prominent Quaker, Ashton Richardson owned several milling operations and was considered one of the most eligible bachelors in the area. After marrying in 1807, Richardson and his wife Mary occupied the house until their deaths in the early 1850’s. Ashley Mansion remained in the Richardson family until 1899, when the property was sold. In 1916 the house was purchased by Jefferson D. Chalfant, the acclaimed still-life painter. Chalfant used one wing of the house for a studio, where he produced many of the works that brought him national attention.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com.
LOCATION: East side of Maryland Avenue at intersection with Ashley Place, near Richardson Park, Newport.