THE HOME OF WILLIAM JULIUS “JUDY” JOHNSON
Born October 26, 1899 - Died June 14, 1989
In 1975 William Julius “Judy” Johnson became the first Delawarean elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. During his career, 1921 through 1936, Johnson was considered the best third baseman in the Negro Leagues. In 1935, Johnson served as captain of the Pittsburgh Crawfords, a team that also featured Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Oscar Charleston, Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell. Later he served as a scout for the Philadelphia Athletics, the Philadelphia Phillies, and the Milwaukee Braves. This house, where Johnson and his wife Anita lived for 55 years, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Marshallton – Intersection of Newport Road and Kiamensi Avenue.