TAYLOR’S BRIDGE SCHOOL
(District No. 66)
On April 5, 1923 a frame schoolhouse located nearby was destroyed by a storm. Within two weeks the General Assembly appropriated $5,000 to construct a new school. Although the amount proved to be inadequate, P.S. duPont, through the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, provided the balance necessary to complete the project. On October 27, 1923 the State of Delaware purchased three acres on this site to build the new brick one-room structure. Construction began shortly thereafter. In 1949 the school was closed and the district was consolidated with the Smyrna School District. On April 21, 1950 the Taylor’s Bridge Community Center, Inc. purchased the property for one dollar and transformed the structure into a community center.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: East side of Route 9, Taylor’s Bridge.