Built in the mid-eighteenth century by Captain David Clark, Clearfield Farm was the home of his grandson John Clark (1761-1821), Governor of Delaware from 1817-1820. John Clark served as Colonel in the Delaware Militia and as Justice of the Peace before being elected Governor in 1816. After his term expired, Clark moved into the town of Smyrna to become President of the Commercial Bank of Smyrna. Following his death, the property was inherited by his granddaughters. Local folklore identifies the plantation as a stop on the Underground Railroad. The property was listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1973.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Near Smyrna - On the grounds of the Delaware Correctional Center. Approximately one mile south of the intersection of Paddock Road and Smyrna Landing Road.