DuPONT POWDER MILLS
On the banks of the Brandywine, one-half mile northeast of this crossroad, Eleuthere Irenee DuPont DeNemours built in 1802 the first DuPont Powder Mills in America. Powder was manufactured there for the United States Government in War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish American War and Great War. Old Mills abandoned 1921.
LOCATION: On State Road 100, south of entrance to Hagley Museum, south of State Road 52 (.2 mile west of intersection of Roads 100 and 141).