MOUNT SALEM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The origin of this congregation is traced to the early 19th century when the Brandywine Manufacturer’s Sunday School was established to serve the spiritual and educational needs of the families of workers in the industrial community on the Brandywine. This non-denominational work provided a meeting place for local Methodists. In 1847 the Methodist residents of the area “from Riddle’s To DuPont’s Bank” constructed a house of worship at this location. The church was formally incorporated as Mount Salem Methodist Episcopal Church on November 9, 1847. A cemetery was established in 1852. In 1878 the old building was taken down and a new building constructed, only to be destroyed by fire months later. Restoration began immediately and on July 13, 1879, the present church was dedicated. Although the structure was largely new, the tower of the previous building was retained. The church was remodeled in 1893 and a Sunday School wing was added in 1917. Mount Salem United Methodist Church continues to serve the needs of the community.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: 2629 W. 19TH Street, Rockford Park, Wilmington.