The oldest portion of this structure is believed to have been built circa 1730. In the 1740s the house and surrounding property were sold to Philadelphia merchant Thomas Robinson. Other holdings included a milling operation and landing on nearby Naaman’s Creek. Following Thomas Robinson’s death the house passed to his son and namesake. Commissioned as a Pennsylvania Continental Army officer at the outset of the Revolution, the younger Thomas rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel, serving with distinction during the war. The proximity of the Robinson House to one of the country’s major transportation corridors made it a landmark for passing travelers and it is believed that many prominent figures stopped to visit. The house was sold by the Robinson family in 1851. For a time during the 20th century it was operated as a restaurant known as “Naaman’s Tea House.” The Robinson House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: 1 Naaman’s Road, Claymont.