In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. The property on which this house stands was purchased by the brothers in 1816. It is believed that the structure was built soon thereafter. By the 1820s the brothers were among the largest property owners in Mill Creek Hundred. The large and impressive nature of the home reflects the wealth and importance of its owners. In 1974, the property was purchased by the Stanley Yasik family and renovated for use as a funeral business. A well preserved example of the vernacular Federal Style, the Meeteer House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: 801 Capitol Trail in Newark. (Also known as 801 Kirkwood Highway and the building is presently called the Stanley Yasik Funeral Home )