Built in 1923 with funding provided by Pierre S. duPont for schools in Delaware, this school replaced New Castle’s first school for “colored” students that was built in 1867 on Williams Street. The Delaware School Auxiliary Association provided $23,405.97 to cover the entire cost of the land and the construction of the two room brick building. Grades one through eight were instructed by two teachers. Notable faculty included Bertha Howard Battle, who taught grades one through four from 1923 until 1938, and Albion T. Unthank, who taught grades five through eight from 1926 until his death in 1953. During segregation, this school was the center of educational and social activities for the African-American residents of New Castle. Booker T. Washington School was used as an elementary school until 1958. It was used for a variety of educational programs until the early 1980s. Following a long period of vacancy, the building was acquired in 2005 by the New Castle Senior Center for community use.

Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Connor Graham at (302) 744-5019 or via email at

LOCATION: 400 South Street, New Castle (in front of New Castle Senior Center.