In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of community activities. Previously a private institution, it became a part of the public school system in 1876. The school was closed in 1929. The building was deeded in 1945 to the St. Georges Hundred Historical Society, an organization formed to ensure its preservation. In 1960 the property was acquired by the Town of Middletown. Since then the building has been used for a variety of purposes. Continuing its traditional role as a public meeting place, the facility has been utilized by a number of municipal agencies and community organizations. The Middletown Academy was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: North Broad Street .