By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town’s first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at Chapel and New Streets. On April 8, 1813, members gathered in the unfinished structure to receive the deed for the property and elect trustees for the newly established “Newark Chapel.” By the 1840s the growing congregation was in need of a new home. Through the efforts of member John F. Williamson and others, the present site was purchased on July 12, 1851. A new church was then erected. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1861. It was subsequently rebuilt and formally reopened in January 1865. Over the years continued growth has led to consideration of a move to a new location, but the congregation has chosen to remain and expand. A large education wing was completed in 1933, and in 1948 a steeple and new front entrance were added. A second Educational Annex was built in 1964. Renovations to modernize facilities and promote accessibility were completed in 1991. Newark United Methodist Church continues to serve the needs of the residents of Newark and its surrounding community – a parish that embraces parts of three states.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Newark, 69 East Main Street