An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh’s choice for a Trans-Atlantic crossing, but he was unable to secure its use. Two weeks after Lindbergh’s flight Columbia was flown non-stop to Berlin, a world record 3,911 miles. Bellanca’s Miss Veedol flew the first Trans-Pacific flight in 1931. Over the years his planes established numerous records for altitude, endurance, and speed. Between 1928 and 1954, approximately 3,000 aircraft were produced here.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: New Castle, on Route 273, near the intersection with Route 141,
just inside the Centerpoint Industrial Park.