This congregation was organized in 1812. For a number of years services were conducted by Methodist “circuit riders” in members’ homes and local schools. On March 7, 1834, Thomas and Hannah Aldred donated land at this location on which to build a church. Constructed of Brandywine granite, the building was completed later that year. During the latter part of the 19th century the church was extensively remodeled. Improvements included the covering of the granite exterior with a stucco finish, raising of the roof pitch, and the addition of the narthex. The facility was further renovated in the 1930s with the completion of the present stained glass windows in 1934 and the construction of the belfry in 1936. The bell that was placed in the tower had been presented to the congregation upon the dismantling of Edgemoor Methodist Church. A fellowship hall with kitchen facilities was constructed in the early 1950s. A second story was added to the structure in 1974 to meet the growing needs of the congregation. Among the noteworthy graves in the church cemetery are those of long-serving pastors Reverend John Talley and Reverend Walter E. Fosnocht.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Wilmington, 850 Mount Lebanon road