PORT PENN FRONT RANGE LIGHT
In 1875, Congress approved funding to build several lighthouses along this segment of the Delaware River. This site was purchased in April 1876, and by December the Port Penn Front Range Light was completed. Constructed under the direction of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, it was a two-story frame structure with a lantern room above. The light was powered by a double-wick oil burner. The floors below served as living space for the lighthouse keeper and his family. Keepers were Henry C. Walter (1876-1885), and George W. Duncan (1885-1904). The facility was renovated and expanded circa 1898. Due to changes in the shipping channel, the light was closed in October 1904. The property was sold as surplus in 1911.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: Port Penn, along the Delaware River, 900 feet southwest of mouth of St. Augustine Creek.