PRIDE OF DELAWARE LODGE #349 IBPOEW
PRIDE OF DELAWARE LODGE #349 IBPOEW The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvement, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a group of Newark citizens, the IBPOEW issued a charter for Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 on March 29, 1923. The first Exalted Ruler of the new lodge was W. G. Saunders, a long-time leader in Newark’s African-American community. The present Lodge Hall was purchased in 1938. Formerly a store and pool hall, it has served as the home of Lodge #349 since that time. It is also the meeting place of Elizabeth Boulden Temple #269, a women’s organization which is affiliated with the IBPOEW. Since its founding in 1923, the Pride of Delaware Lodge has continued in its efforts to promote “the nobleness of soul and goodness of heart” through various activities within the Newark community.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Newark, DE, located on West Cleveland Avenue