SITE OF DuPONT AIRFIELD
In 1924, a private airfield was established here by Henry B. duPont. Charles Lindbergh landed here in October 1927. With Richard duPont’s purchase of controlling interest in All-American Aviation, and Henry duPont’s establishment of Atlantic Aviation in 1938, the airfield was expanded, becoming one of the most modern privately owned public-use facilities in the country. Though civil flights were restricted during World War II, the DuPont Airfield continued to prosper as a flight training site for the Navy and as a base for the Civil Air Patrol. It was an important site for development and testing of military experimental projects. Space limitations led to the transfer of most operations following the war. The final flight from DuPont Airfield was in 1958. The site was used by the DuPont Company for construction of the Barley Mill research and development center.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION:Wilmington, intersection of Rt. 141 and Barley Mill Plaza Road