GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH

GRACE EPISCOPAL CHURCH



On December 30, 1835, a group of local residents met at the Talley School House to organize themselves as a congregation of the Episcopal Church. The old school, which was located on Naaman’s Road, was purchased the following February to serve as a house of worship. It was named for Grace Church in Philadelphia. The present site was obtained by the growing congregation in 1872. A new church was subsequently constructed here, and formally opened on July 4, 1875.



A Parish House was built in 1928 to serve the needs of the congregation and community. The present rectory was constructed the following year. As the parish grew and prospered, the need for new and expanded facilities arose. A Church School addition was completed in 1952, and construction of a new sanctuary was undertaken in 1959. The building was dedicated on March 5, 1961 by Bishop J. Brooke Mosley. The old church was retained for use as a Chapel.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: 4900 Concord Pike, across from the Concord Mall, Wilmington