This 14.7 acre strip of land, connecting Rockford Park and Grove with Brandywine Park, was designed by famed American landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead. The land was donated by two Wilmington businessman, William M. Fields and William Poole Bancroft, the latter known as the father of the Wilmington park system. Olmstead’s design was based on Fields research of parkways in other eastern cities he visited. He concluded that the right-of-way should be 150 feet wide, with buildings set back 25 feet on either side. Kentmere Parkway was completed to Fields’ specifications in 1891.