CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
In 1847, the Reverend Andrew F. Freeman and the Reverend Thomas F. Billop were appointed as a committee to organize and solicit subscriptions for a Protestant Episcopal church in Delaware City. The parish was formally organized on May 28, 1848, when Bishop Alfred Lee officiated for the first time to a numerous congregation assembled in the Methodist Church. The church was officially admitted into full union at the following Diocesan Convention. A house of worship was provided by the commissioners of Public School District #76, who authorized the use of the school house.
On February 16, 1849, the congregation purchased this property from John Ashhurst. Construction of the church was commenced in April of that year. On February 22, 1851, the first worship service was held. The church was formally consecrated by Bishop Lee on December 13, 1857. Parish tradition contends that the design for the building was based upon that of the Church of the Redeemer for Seamen, an ornate floating edifice which served the needs of port of Philadelphia sailors from 1849 to 1853.
The building of a Rectory was authorized on February 7, 1870. The structure was completed the following November. Construction of the Parish Hall was completed in 1895. The building was occupied and dedicated at a service of benediction conducted by Bishop Leighton Coleman on June 23 of that year. Following the completion of much-needed renovations and repairs, Christ Church was formally reopened on October 31, 1920.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Delaware City. Corner of 3rd and Clinton Streets.