COW MARSH PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized on July 18, 1781, the “Baptist Church at Mount Moriah,” also called Cow Marsh Baptist Church, was the fourth Primitive Baptist congregation formally constituted in Delaware. For many years members met in area homes. In 1793, Job Meredith conveyed two acres of land to Joseph Flood upon which a church was built the following year. Joseph Flood conveyed the property in 1796 to the trustees of “the Baptist Church at Mount Moriah”. Additional land was purchased in 1858 to enlarge the burial ground. The first church served the Willow Grove area until 1872, when the structure was torn down and a new building erected. In 1926, John Meredith, descendent of Job, donated more acreage to the church. Regular services ceased in the 1980s. The Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 24, 1976.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Follow Route 10 West through Camden traffic light, marker is located approximately 13 miles past the light on the right just inside the brick wall of the church entrance.