In 1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure were undertaken in 1865 and 1940. The building was expanded with the addition of a nine-room educational annex in 1948. The Whatcoat congregation continued to worship here until 1967, when services were moved to a new church nearby. After a decade of continued use as a center for educational activities, this property was conveyed to the Church of Christ in 1977. It was subsequently sold to New Hope Baptist Church in 1981. On June 17, 1986, the structure was purchased by Morning Star Institutional Church Of God In Christ, Inc. This denomination was formally organized in 1907 by Bishop Charles H. Mason of Memphis Tennessee.
Morning Star Institutional Church Of God In Christ is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Camden, located at 255 East Camden-Wyoming Avenue