In 1733 a charter was granted to “a dissenting congregation” of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequently erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service here on August 12, 1733. The tract, then known as Holy Hill, was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1749. On June 30, 1776, the Reverend John Miller summoned the large number of Patriots in the congregation to support the American Revolution. Services in the old church were discontinued in 1846 when a new site was obtained. Notable burials in the church cemetery include those of John Clark, Governor of Delaware (1817-1820), and Presley Spruance, United States Senator (1847-1853).
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at email@example.com.
LOCAT ION: Smyrna, between Lake Como and Route 13