WESLEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the establishment of a Methodist society in Dover in 1778. Land on North Street was obtained in 1782, and a brick chapel was completed there in 1784. Bishops Francis Asbury and Richard Whatcoat, pioneers of American Methodism, often conducted services there. Needing more space, the present site was purchased for a new church. The cornerstone was laid on September 23, 1850, and the building was dedicated the following February. To accommodate further growth, the church was enlarged in 1870 and 1884. A major rebuilding project in 1897 included the addition of stained glass windows, organ pipes, and a lofty beamed ceiling, giving the church a cathedral like appearance. Another addition was built in 1924. In 1950, Grace Fellowship Hall was added, St. Paul’s Chapel was created, and a major redesign of the sanctuary took place. The former Post Office Building to the east became the Education Center in 1967.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Sarah Denison at (302) 744-5016 or via email at Sarah.Denison@state.de.us.
LOCATION:Dover, 209 South State Street