SITE OF BLACKISTON METHODIST CHURCH


SITE OF BLACKISTON METHODIST CHURCH



A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was



then constructed and named Blackiston’s Chapel, to honor the family that provided the site. For many years it was the largest Methodist church on the Delmarva Peninsula. Many of the pioneers of Methodism visited here to preach. In 1847, the old church was moved and a new one was erected in its place. This building continued to stand until it was dismantled following a damaging storm in 1980.



Enter your address for driving directions to this marker

The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016

LOCATION: Corner of Route 6 and Blackiston Cemetery Road, west of Blackiston Crossroads