CAMDEN KC 72
CAMDEN KC 72 The history of this community can be traced to the 1780s, when members of the Mifflin family began dividing their land into lots. Much of this land was originally a part of a tract known as Brecknock, which was granted to Alexander Humphreys in 1680. Located at the intersection of two important thoroughfares, a number of homes and businesses were soon constructed here. First known as Mifflin’s Crossroads, and also Piccadilly, the village of Camden was firmly established by the 1790s. The town became a commercial center, sending most of its products to market by way of the port of Lebanon, and later by rail with the coming of the railroad in the 1850s. Camden was first incorporated in 1852, and again in 1869. The town was the residence of Delaware governors George Truitt and David Buckson, and the birthplace of Governor Charles L. Terry and General Henry H. Lockwood, one of the founders of the United States Naval Academy.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Camden, Camden-Wyoming Avenue across from Camden Town Hall.