Constructed in 1944, Hangar 1301 served as the headquarters and engineering facility for the 4146th Base Unit from 1944 to 1946. Highly secret testing and development work was done here on air-launched rocket weapons. Aircraft used in testing ranged from P-47 Thunderbolts to four-engine bombers including B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators. Even single engine light planes were outfitted with multiple rocket launchers to test the feasibility of providing additional firepower for all types of aircraft.
The main hangar was used to house aircraft that were being fitted with various types of rocket launchers. The attached building was used as the machine shop to build and modify weapon systems, and the small structure nearby was the heating plant. Hangar 1301 is now the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum. The original concrete ramp now serves as the outside display park of the museum. The hangar complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Dover, South side US113 in front of the Dover Air Force Base.