TOWN OF KENTON
TOWN OF KENTON The origin of this community can be traced to the mid-18th century, when growing travel between Dover and the head of the Chester River resulted in the establishment of a Public House here to support the needs of travelers. Increasing commerce led to the growth of settlement. First known as Grog-Town and Lewis’ Cross Roads, the village was formally named Kenton in 1806.
A post office was established here in 1857. With the arrival of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad following the Civil War, the town became an important shipping point for local goods and products. By the 1880s the town was home to 300 residents and a number of thriving businesses. On April 22, 1887, the Town of Kenton was formally incorporated by the Delaware General Assembly.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: Kenton, Town Hall