SITE OF MILFORD’S FIRST METHODIST CHURCH
SITE OF MILFORD’S FIRST METHODIST CHURCH The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at this location for the purpose of “building a preaching house or church” for the Methodists. A frame chapel was constructed here and completed in 1790. The growth and prosperity of the congregation resulted in the construction of an addition to the church in 1800. Prominent visitors included Methodist pioneers Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson.
The building continued to serve the congregation until 1842, when a new church was constructed across the street at the northwest corner of Third and North Streets. The old building was then sold and moved. Interments here had commenced in the late 18th century, and following removal of the first church, the site was used exclusively as a burial ground for members. Notable burials include those of Peter F. Causey, Governor of Delaware (1855-1859), and Civil War General Alfred T. A. Torbert.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: East side of North Street at Third Street, Milford