BETHEL METHODIST CHURCH
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the late 18th century, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury traveled throughout this area spreading the message of their faith. Over time some church members became dissatisfied with the organization and government of the established Methodist Episcopal Church. As a result, the Methodist Protestant Church was founded in 1830. Soon thereafter a group of local Methodists affiliated with the new church began to meet at or near the homes of its members. In 1838 the congregation was formally organized as Bethel Methodist Protestant Church, being the first of this denomination in Kent County. A church was constructed at this location for the use of the congregation. It was rebuilt in 1871, extensively remodeled in 1904, and rededicated in 1905.
Delaware Public Archives – 2000
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Andrewville – South side of Rd. 304 just west of the intersection of Rd. 304 and Rd. 114.