TOWN OF WYOMING
TOWN OF WYOMING
The construction of the Delaware Railroad in the 1850s led to the establishment of the Delmarva Peninsula’s first and most important north-south railway transportation artery. Proximity to the nearby community of Camden resulted in the location of a station here when the railroad arrived in 1856. Settlement of “West Camden” quickly expanded with the construction of homes and businesses. In 1865 the Rev. John J. Pierce migrated here from the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. Rev. Pierce purchased lands and subdivided them into building lots. Other residents of Wyoming Valley followed Rev. Pierce and settled in and around the thriving village. Desiring to sever any shared identity or connection with Camden, residents chose to honor the new citizens by changing the name of the community to Wyoming. A Post Office was established in 1866, and in 1869 the Town of Wyoming was incorporated by the Delaware General Assembly. Surrounded by some of the state’s most-productive farmlands, the Town of Wyoming was a major point for the shipping of peaches and other agricultural products.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Wyoming - Railroad Avenue, Ż block north of the intersection of Camden-Wyoming Ave. and Railroad Ave.