TODD’S CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the days of the American Revolution, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson traveled throughout this area organizing groups or “societies” for worship. Many of the early meetings were held at the homes of members such as local resident Levin Todd. On March 6, 1803, Todd and other representatives of the local society purchased land at this location from Olive and Mary Jump to serve as the site for a permanent place of worship. A frame chapel was subsequently erected and named in his honor.
The first structure remained in use until it was replaced by the present church in 1858. Built in the Greek Revival style, the new building was formally dedicated on May 30th of that year. The church was expanded with completion of the adjoining Sunday School addition in 1966. Todd’s Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 14, 1998.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kate Fair at (302) 744-5016
LOCATION: Harrington, NE corner of Clark and Commerce Streets.