SITE OF OLD ASBURY METHODIST CHURCH
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in the 1770’s. Meetings were held in private homes before a frame structure was built here circa 1786 on land provided by Col. Allan McLane, Revolutionary War hero and early advocate of Methodism. On May 9, 1799, the meeting house and burial ground were formally conveyed to the church trustees for 5 shillings. The Philadelphia Annual Conference was held here on numerous occasions in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Francis Asbury and many other Methodist pioneers were frequent visitors. Services were held here until 1845, when the congregation relocated to a new site, and the old church was dismantled and moved.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Smyrna - West side of Delaware Street between Mt. Vernon Street and North Street.