The site of one of the earliest Methodist churches in America, the first structure was built in 1761 as an Episcopal Church. Built of logs, the church was referred to as the Log or forest Chapel. According to tradition, ownership of the structure passed to the Methodists in the late 1770’s. The church was renamed Thomas’ Chapel to honor William Thomas, a local Methodist leader who was instrumental in securing the church building. A frame structure replaced the log church in the late 18th century an the first brick building was erected in 1825. Major renovations took place in the late 1870’s. Thomas’ Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 26, 1994.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Katie Hall at (302) 744-5036 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOCATION: South side of Rt 206 (Chapeltown Road). Approximately 1/4 mile west of the intersection of Rt. 206 and Rt. 222.