STAR HILL A.M.E. CHURCH
By the end of the 18th century this area was home to a large number of African Americans, many of them freed slaves. Their settlement was largely due to the efforts of local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was established here circa 1863. On June 12, 1866, the congregation purchased land from Henry W. Postles as the site for their church, which they named “Star of the East.” Members of the church are believed to have participated in the activities of the Underground Railroad, and the church’s name is attributed to the symbol of the star as guide for escaping slaves.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015
LOCATION: Near Camden - Approximately 1/2 mile east of the intersection of Route 13 and Star Hill Road (Route 360) north side of Star Hill Road.