HARRINGTON KC 48
Formerly known as Clark’s Corner, the roots of this community can be traced to settlement by the Clark family in the 1730’s, and the subsequent establishment of an inn, tavern, store, and mill nearby. The village was little more than a country crossroads before the coming to the railroad in 1856. In that same year Matthew J. Clark subdivided a portion of his lands into town lots which would form the nucleus of the growing community. In 1859 the state legislature renamed the town in honor of Judge Samuel M. Harrington, a prime mover in the effort to bring the railroad to southern Delaware. Harrington was incorporated by the General Assembly on March 23, 1869.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: West side city limits, south side of Rt. 14 in front of the Messick Community Center, Harrington.