On September 17, 1740, Thomas Clark received a Proprieary Warrant from Thomas Penn for lands “adjoining his dwellin place” which he named “Clark’s Folly.” By the 1790s Benjamin Clark and his son Matthew had established an inn and tavern on this land at a location which became known as Clark’s Corner. A mill, store, and blacksmith’s shop were located nearby. This was an important stop for travelers. A post office was established here in 1857. On January 31, 1859, he Delaware General Assembly formally changed the name of this community from Clark’s Corner to Harrington.
Enter your address for driving directions to this marker
The Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Kevin Barni at (302) 744-5015 or via email at Kevin.Barni@state.de.us.
LOCATION: One block north of the intersection of Clark Street and Commerce Street, near the intersection of Commerce Street and Mechanic Street, Harrington.